Westmount Fitness Club
12840 109 Avenue
The Fitness Centre was originally built for the YMCA and officially opened in January of 1959. YMCA's prior West Edmonton location was in a rickety old army hut at 10984 127 Street to the north of Westmount Community Hall. This old building was very poorly insulated and cold. The grand, new facility contained club rooms, a kitchen, lounge, office and a small gymnasium. Shortly after opening, a rifle range was installed on the lower level; and in 1965, an indoor swimming pool was added. The facility was extremely well received and became a true neighbourhood centre with a men's health club, loyal women's fitness program, scheduled children's day camps, and a popular teen drop-in program. In the 1980's, our community, surrounding the West Y (as it became known), changed with fewer children. The pool required major repairs and was closed. In 1991, the West Y closed its doors, moved out and donated the facility to our Community League.
Westmount Fitness Club was founded thereafter and is still thriving today. The Club still focuses on health and wellness in our Community by offering a number of programs and services to our neighbourhood. The old swimming pool was covered and turned into the 5,500 square foot Pheonix Gym with 2 volleyball courts, 3 pickleball courts and 1 basketball court. The original gym (Johnny's Gym), offers 1,500 square feet of hardwood floor, catering to fitness and martial arts classes as well as dance groups. The fitness club also offers a cardio room, workout facility with extensive equipment, as well as a vintage hot rock sauna.